An Assortment of Ways to make a Better World
Thoughts and ideas of Yeremiah and his views of the world. These are only views and opinions, they shouldn't be looked at as factual in any way.

Welcome

Welcome and Thank-You for viewing my blog. These are a portrayal of my ideas and thoughts as well as my dreams. I hope you enjoy what you read and leave comments fso I can improve upon my writings. Thanks again for taking the time to read my thought.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

School's Out?


By Miles Patrick Yohnke

That early September morning, in 1979, started like any other. I walked my normal two blocks and waited on the corner of Arlington Ave. and Main St. for the bus. Route 8. I would take it each morning, and do a transfer downtown - in front of the Hudson's Bay department store.

This was one of the main hubs where the buses of the Saskatoon Transit System gathered back then and folks would transfer from one bus to another to get to their destinations. I would get on one more bus, either Route 21 or Route 1, and head into the neighbourhood of Mayfair.

After forty-five minutes I would finally reach my destination, 830 Idylwyld Dr. North, and ultimately, my school, Sion High School. This particular morning was the start of the new school year and Grade 10. I didn't know it then, but that day, during that year, would change the path I had been following up until that time.

We had a new school teacher that had started that year. I would have her for one class, each day. When she introduced herself, she didn't write her last name like most teachers would. She simply wrote on the chalkboard her first name, "Connie".

All of the teachers at this special school for the learning impaired had their own unique, caring and loving way of teaching, but Connie's methods of teaching were quickly separating her from the others.

She took our class on a field trip to our downtown library: the Frances Morrison branch. I had never been to a public library before, and I felt terribly uncomfortable. We were about to leave when she noticed I hadn't borrowed anything.

Connie took me aside and said, "Miles, the library and the library system are wonderful resources. They have everything, and if you can't find it, they'll order it in for you. They are powerful tools for personal growth."

Who knew so much was available, Yeremiah? And why is it important for you? Please continue reading:
http://motivateus.com/stories/yohnke-school-is-out.htm

No comments: